Full disclosure: this meal takes a smidge over 30 minutes but it's SO worth it. Are you looking for a replacement for your beloved chicken enchiladas? This comes pretty darn close and it's loaded with delicious and nutritious ingredients. Plus, this recipe uses the Instant Pot for fall apart shredded chicken which is an absolute life saver and at the very top of my Cooking Top Ten List.
Green Chile Chicken Ingredients:
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Kent Rathbun's Steak and Chop Salt (also available at Central Market)
- 1/2 diced onion
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 T. Lime juice
- 1 dash of Cedarhouse Liquid Smoke (a little goes a long way)
- ½ cup Bone Broth (homemade or Pacific Naturals Chicken Original Bone Broth available at Whole Foods)
- 1 can diced mild Green Chiles
Combine spices and season chicken breasts. Place in pot and add diced onions, minced garlic, lime juice, liquid smoke, bone broth, and green chiles,. Set on Poultry and manually increase time to 20 minutes. Once bone, manually release the pressure and shred the chicken. Reserve leftover liquid for enchilada sauce.
Enchilada + Sauce Ingredients:
- Reserved Liquid from instant pot chicken
- Additional 1/2 cup of bone broth if needed
- 1 can mild diced green chilies
- 1 tsp Chili Powder or to taste
- 1/2 Diced Onions
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ~ 2 T. Tapioca Flour (for thickening)
- 1 cup plain unsweetened coconut milk yogurt (So Delicious)
- 1 package Siete Cassava Flour tortillas (available at Whole Foods)
- Chopped Spinach
- Jalapenos (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
Saute onions on stovetop until translucent. Add minced garlic and sauté. Add chili powder and reserved liquid/ broth simmer for 2-3 minutes and reduce. Thicken with tapioca flour. (Remove ¼ cup of liquid to a small bowl, add 1-2 T. tapioca flour to create a slurry and remove lumps. Pour slurry into pan and whisk or mix well. Continue stirring to thicken and prevent sticking. Remove from heat and add yogurt. Mix and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Heat olive oil on the skillet and warm Siete Cassava Flour Tortillas. (They won't roll properly unless they're warmed.) Mix shredded chicken with chopped spinach and a few spoonfuls of sauce. Fill tortillas with shredded chicken mix. Roll enchiladas. Top with sauce. Bake at 350 for ~10 minutes. Top with jalapeños and avocados (optional). Makes 8 creamy and delicious enchiladas.
*To save time, consider making the chicken in advance.